To assist you in calculating the quantity bricks you will need for your project, whether it be a D-I-Y home project or a large scale project, kindly use the calculator:
- The amount of water added to a mix must be enough to make the mix workable and plastic
- Use cement that has the SABS mark (SABS ENV 197-1). Masonry cement that complies with SABS ENV 413-1; strength class 12.5 or higher may be used for mortar and plaster.
- A builder’s wheelbarrow has a capacity of 65 litres
- Inexperienced bricklayers can use up to twice the volume of mortar.
- For laying bricks and blocks in normal applications and environmental conditions (SABS Class II):
- 1 000 bricks will use approximately 3 bags cement + 0.6 cu. m. sand
- 1 Bag of cement to 3 wheelbarrows of building sand